Saturday, January 17, 2009

"Happy Winds-day" -Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh said it best. The winds were blowing pretty hard today from the North, which I ran through for most of the 8.5 miles I covered. Although, I'm thankful I can say, "BUH-BYE!" to the malevolent arctic weather we've had this past week. And while I'm at it, I might as well tell it to not come back.


Considering I do 2-a-day runs, I figured why not do a 2-a-day posting? It was a recovery run day, so I decided to try bringing my camera with me and have some photo fun while I was at it.Between the occasional pause and picture snap, I thought about impatience. I know it's a mindset that plagues me and many others, so I wondered how I got so into the sport of running.

It takes patience to pound out the many miles required to hone your fitness and hit the PR's we all strive for. It also takes patience to do speedwork as you run through the incessant, nagging part of your brain that wants to stop to cease the tsunami of fatigue. During long runs, which can last anywhere from 1-3 hours, it takes serious mental strength simply to occupy oneself with positive and introspective thoughts. Is impatience our attempt to push a fast-forward button on life, for which none exist?

Are we impatient throughout our lives to get through our lives? Do we run through life as if it is a race feeling the same impatience with which we regard that familiar feeling of fatigue? Maybe life is the one place we shouldn't apply our racing skills. Perhaps in the race of life, we should slow down to a walk. Or perhaps even pause for a couple of moments.

Instead of racing through life, maybe we should try to embrace that virtue that so many of us lack - patience. Steps off soapbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment